Monday, August 24, 2009

Tokashiki Island Trip

Well, I’d like to say that this year’s trip to Tokashiki island was as fun as last years. Unfortunately I can’t say so! Jon and I prepared for this trip by purchasing a tent so we could have some privacy- the other option is to sleep outside on mats surrounded by people on all sides. I knew I couldn’t really snorkel because of my ear (the doc said I can’t submerge my head under water). The group of 30 or so JETs went on the morning ferry, but I had the wedding to go to so Jon and I caught the 4:30 marine liner (the fast ferry) to Tokashiki, Saturday afternoon. We met Ollie at the port and were on our way. When we arrived, we wanted to set up our tents, get a bit of food and start drinking (because that seems to be the best way to pass time on that little island). We accomplished our tasks and met up with Dave and Vaughn along the way. Those two quit drinking after our trip to the market (2 beers in) and Jon and I should have too. Everyone ate at the yakiniku restaurant that night, but I was sitting between two grills so I didn’t get a whole lot to eat. I did however have another 2 or 3 beers. The rest of the evening is blurry. I do remember being in the ocean, floating around in the surf (the heat and humidity were high so that was the best place to be) when my wedding and engagement rings slipped off. I stopped moving and started looking for them instantly. Rise (pronounced ree-say) went back to get a light. It was a miracle that I was able to find one ring, my engagement ring and the bigger of the two in the coral and shell pieces- the beaches there aren’t sand in the surf, it’s all former homes of animals or corals. I did not find the smaller, wedding ring. We looked for what seemed like an hour without any luck. I was sad, but realized there wasn’t much I could do.
The next day I felt awful. I spent the morning getting all the alcohol out of my system… Jon was no better. He couldn’t even keep water down. At first we thought it was a hangover, but when 1pm rolled around and he couldn’t keep any food or water down, we realized it must be something else. I suggested getting him to the hospital (Jon’s school was closed last week due to not one but two of his students having swine flu) but the hospital was closed. Some sweet little islanders helped him by giving him ice, water, sugar, salt, a fan, and be checking on him in the shade. He ended up in the shade by a hotel because he was walking after we and Ollie had some shaved ice when Jon started hurling on the side of the path. We also met an Italian vacationer who was a rehabilitation doctor. We must have been there for 2 hours before Jon threw up everything that he had been given while there. After that I suggested we go back to the campground, because I needed to take the tent down before our bus came. Ollie got on his bus at 3 and ours left at 4:30. We got back to camp and packed up everything, but Jon was still not well. His patch had come off in the ocean the night before, so he couldn’t get insulin either. Slowly but surely we made it to the ferry and back to Okinawa. But before Jon could get off the ferry, he hurled again. Thank goodness for those little sick bags! After that he felt ok, but not great, so we got the car and Vaughn on the way because he had been double charged for his return ticket and now didn’t have enough money to ride the bus back up to Nago. We gave him some money, dropped him off at the bus terminal, and went home. On the way, we saw Dan, picked him up and took him to Geos so he could return some movies. After a long day of craziness we got home, and Jon had a bit of water, slept for a couple hours before waking up (obviously starving at this point) and thinking he might be able to eat. Finally he was able to eat and keep food down. We’re pretty sure that it was food poisoning that was the culprit of his woes! I guess if we had to choose between swine flu and food poisoning, we choose food poisoning!

And a recent update, a JET who was on the trip did come down with swine flu... Glad it wasn't Jon, and I feel bad for that kiddo!

No comments: