Friday, March 27, 2009

What's shakin'?

Last night I went to farewell party for Hyakuna Elementary. Japanese schools have these every year for the staff of the school to honor the teachers leaving. The nijikai (second) party was still going on when Jon and I left at midnight. After watching the Craig Ferguson show till 1:30, we went to sleep. For some reason, I woke up about 4:15am. I was laying in bed wondering why I woke up, when I started to feel this, which soon woke Jon up. Now, I like earthquakes a lot, but this shook us quite vigorously. Even our bookshelf, which would probably break my legs if it fell since it's against our kitchen/bedroom "wall", was rattling a lot. Eventually, I sat up, but wasn't sure where to go to be safer (I did however, pull my legs up on the bed in case that bookshelf did fall. After the shaking finally stopped, Jon and I guessed the intensity of the quake. I guessed 5.3 and he guessed 5.2... Turns out it was a 6.0!

No comments: