Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hyakuna Sports Day

Hyakuna Shogakko's (elementary school's) sports day was Sunday. The weather was nice (the humidity has finally died down and it is a pleasant 70-something degrees daily). I was the English announcer of events, but at lunch the Kyoto-Sensei (vice-principal) asked if Jon wanted to do the afternoon announcements, so he did.
I also ran in the PTA relay race. I had to kick a ball a quarter way around the track... Of course this was no ordinary ball! It was like an elongated football with rounded ends... My team came in last place! I think that was partially due to the fact that instead of a 3-legged race portion (2 people) like the parents, we had a 4-legged race (3 people)! This race was much like a japanese game show, complete with costumes (worn by our 6th grade teacher and the kyoto-sensei). I really love the staff at Hyakuna. We have so much fun together!
The kids were so cute too! The younger kids performed a dance routine and ran races an the older kids performed eisa dances and taiko. There was even a shisa dance! We got a lot on video so be prepared to watch some soon on here, or when we come home at Christmas!

No comments: