Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Dinner #1

Thankfully, Jon's work (International Adventure Club) had a Thanksgiving get together last Saturday night. "Thanksgiving in October?" You might be thinking, but most of them are Canadian, so their Thanksgiving is early. It was a potluck, so we brought a salad, and a friend of Chris (the head of IAC) got a turkey and had a friend who owns a restaurant cook it. Among the dishes were sweet potatoes with marshmellows, olives, cheeses breads and salami, and mashed potatoes with gravy! There are about 10 teachers and their families, and we each had to say what we were thankful for before eating. By the time everyone had arrived and spoken, the meal was cold, but it tasted delicious! I was so happy to get to eat turkey! Good turkey too! It was super moist and rivaled my grandma's!
Everyone at IAC is really nice and I got to talk to Nick, a former JET. Sounded like JET has changed a lot in the 8 years since he came to Okinawa. All of the other teachers who are married are married to Okinawans, and most of them have little hapanese (half Japanese) children. Most of which are super cute! I will post pics soon, write now I just want to finish posting happenings!
Hopefully we are going to start a poker night soon with the IAC folks. I would LOVE that!

We get to eat another Thanksgiving dinner on November 16th! The CIR in Urasoe is putting together another potluck so we can show the Okinawans what a Thanksgiving feast is like! I can't wait! I am also considering seeing if Rose will get us a to-go dinner from base. There is a complete Thanksgiving dinner package that supposedly feeds 8-12 for $70. I'm sure Jon would love to have all that extra food around!

No comments: