Tuesday, April 7, 2009

American Consul General "attacked"

This is quasi-big news here. Apparently a 43 year old, unemployed (not sure what that has to do with it) man threw hot coffee on the Consul General's feet. He was possibly upset about this, US Navy ships docking in an Okinawan island, Ishigaki, port. It's only a 3 day stay, but the local government openly opposes any military presence on Ishigaki. The US Navy, and Japanese officials, however, say that the Navy does have the right to dock there. The military presence in Okinawa has been in debate for a long time, and I understand both sides of the issue. Prefectural government wants the economy benefit, but Okinawan parents of teenage girls object to the military fraternizing with their kin. I have seen a lot of dumbass military dudes, and also met a lot of nice people in the military here, so it's hard to choose a side in the issue. Anyhow, it's interesting nonetheless. According to this article, this is only the second time US has called port since 1972. However, it does go on to say that it could be for reasons other than the US is declaring at the moment.

Oh yeah, and I have met the Consul, actually, Jon and I had dinner at his home, a very nice house with a great view! He was a nice enough guy, if you like down-home Southerners. I guess his Japanese wife does! He does like to close his eyes when he talks and goes way off topic (both times I met him), but he must do a decent job if Japan is eyes him for the next foreign affairs ministry position.

Anyways, my point once again: I like being a foreigner here. I can observe and not have to get too heated, like I would back in the states.

I want to add that I recently read an interesting article about crime in Japan, Okinawa, and the US Military. The author plays devil's advocate a bit, but the article shows how numbers are skewed to make the military here look a lot worse than they might actually be.

No comments: