Saturday, April 18, 2009

Deliciousness Indeed!

This doesn't have so much to do with living in Japan as it does me just wanting to brag about doing something right in the kitchen for once! I just made the most delicious oatmeal cookies from scratch! Can you believe it? The girl who used to mess up brownies from a mix! Anyhow, I made two batches, one from a recipe which called them "healthy" but still called for 3 tablespoons of butter, and another from a recipe that was vegan, and called for applesauce. The problem only being that there is no applesauce readily available for purchase here in Japan, so I had to make my own from scratch. All in all, everything was pretty easy and the cookies came out fantastic. The so called healthy batch is better of course (doesn't butter make everything better?) and the vegan batch is still pretty good. Probably because I added a little peanut butter and just a tiny bit of olive oil so they'd have a more cookie-like consistency. The recipe consisted only of mashed banana, applesauce, crushed nuts, and oats, so I spiffed it up with raisins, about a teaspoon of peanut butter, and topped it off with healthy black sesame seeds. I love that I can taste just a tad of each of those flavors with every bite!

Needless to say, I'm very happy with my endeavor!

Here are the recipes if anyone wants to give it a try :)

healthy oatmeal cookies

vegan oatmeal cookies

If you do try these on your own, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Brian L said...

Amazing? Kind of. You can be anything you want to be, including June Cleaver.