Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Culture Shock in Reverse

Ok, I will start this post by saying that I realize that not every day can be great and that I know the whole culture-shock thing isn't supposed to be a breeze, but this day of my life have been an emotional rollercoaster! For whatever reason I am more emotional than usual right now, and that leads to ridiculous non-thinking thoughts!
First of all, I was tired today because Jon and I stayed up too late at the Mihama American Village. We just wandered around exploring and picking up small knickknacks and talking about the places we want to travel to... But seriously, today was weird at work! First of all I got punched by a 5th grader who supposedly was trying to get his friend back for pushing him... Talk about the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyhow, the two boys were (publicly?) shamed after they came to the teacher's room to apologize to me... Then their teacher came and apologized to me. I mean, it hurt, and it sucked, but I was punched in the back... Not in the face!
Anyway, the other weird thing that happened was that this girl started crying in class today. We were playing a game called "find the leader" in which one person (it) has to find the person who is leading the rest of the class (who repeats what the leader says, in unison). She just started crying in the middle of the circle. I must admit that is pretty traumatizing when you are it because kids just shout at you from all sides... But I still felt really bad. She didn't take her head from her hands for the rest of the class or when she walked out after class!
Jon and I went to the base because Jon got paid and we wanted to buy groceries. Real groceries that is. We buy things at our local Max Value (24 hour market by home) but can't get a lot of the things we are used to eating. We met up with Rose and her hubby and their almost 2 yr old and their neighbor's kid.. and got base passes. We thought we could go to the commissary but due to complications we couldn't so we went to the PX instead. This was also a hassle for some reason and so we had to kind of disappear quick once we were inside (Neil and Rose & Co went to go eat after we got in). So anyhow, Jon and I were wandering around the Yankee Candles and smelling the Christmas ones. Both Jon's dad and my mom like these and honestly I now think it was the smell that set me off. All the Christmas stuff in the PX made me feel really homesick. I didn't even want to be in there. Mind you, last time I was in this store I was like a kid in a candy store. This time I just wanted to stick to our shopping list and get out. I didn't feel like I belonged there at all. Last time I was totally at ease in this store... Anyways, we managed to walk through a few extra aisles (which reminded me of being at the Walmart in HB because of the way this store is set up (toys, tools, pets). I started thinking about all the things I won't be doing this Christmas and got really sad. Then I started thinking about being away from home at Christmas. I know I won't be this year, but in future years.... Could I actually do it? Maybe this is just the time for hardcore bummer to be felt in the culture shock cycle... I dunno. Jon had a good day, he feels like he conquered Uruma, and got a bicycle. We talked at length about staying or leaving and at this point I am on the highest fence in the world and I could fall and hurt myself before making a rational dection about this..... There are many things to think of... but I don't want to leave because I was too much of a wuss to get past the homesickness...

I will add that the night worked out alright. We were able to go to the Shoppette and buy pretty much anything we wanted to get at the commissary. So at least our painful trip to the PX was profitable in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the bags of cinnamon pine cones @ Vons, ugh. All their Christmas shit is out already.