Friday, November 7, 2008

Ok, I didn't want to just have this be a continuation of my previous post, because that's too much text for anyone to read in one go, and it didn't quite flow with my rambling excuses for my lack of posting.

A couple of hours ago, I heard the doorbell ring. We don't know that many people who are home during the day, so the doorbell or a knock means either: 1)a package is being delivered; or 2)someone is at the door to give us a notice of how much we owe for one utility or another (not an actual bill, mind you, but just a notice. I don't understand, either). It's hot here, like 86 degrees fahrenheit (30 Celsius sounds lower, but still feels weird in a way that I can't explain, so I won't), and a bit humid, so I wasn't wearing a shirt. This greatly surprised and possibly alarmed the kindly prostilitizers, especially the woman, who hid behind the door the entire time. My lack of clothing didn't stop them, however. Nor did the fact that they spoke little English and I spoke little Japanese. We had a brief conversation (I think) and they handed me a flyer (in Japanese) and invited me to their Kingdom Hall.
I think they were surprised I knew what they wanted, but I had a hunch as soon as I saw the flyer. Surprisingly enough, they were actually the second and third Jehovah's Witnesses I had met since getting here.
It was maybe my third or fourth week here, and I was wandering the supermarket trying to find these rice cracker-ish/snack chip-ish things, but I didn't know what they were called. I asked an employee (who has now become a bit of a friend, even though we don't know much of what the other person is saying), and she led me around the store, showing me rice cakes, potato chips, and rice cereal. Finally, as she asked a co-worker if he spoke English, this Japanese man walked up to me and said calmly, "Can I help you? I speak English." I described what I wanted, and he led our small, confused group to the onegiri, which I thought were riceballs (even though they are triangular) filled with goodness (sometimes beans, sometimes fish, sometimes Japanese plums, sometimes more rice!). Apparently the name also applies to my much sought-after snacks. I think. I'm still kinda hazy on whether or not that's the name, but I know what the bag looks like. I'm very grateful that Japanese products have pictures all over them, so a baka gaijin like myself can usually find things.
Our mission complete, my group dispersed, except for myself and the helpful Japanese English-speaker. I complimented him on his English and thanked him profusely for helping me, and he told me that he studied English in the States for a while, studying the bible. "Are you a religious person?" he asked. Anticipating being stuck in the front of the store for a long time, not wanting to do so, but also not wanting to be rude, I told him that I do believe in something, but that I wasn't entirely sure what, and that while I was here in Asia, I wanted to learn more about eastern religions. I then said that I had to go, because Kristin and I were going to have dinner soon, which was the truth. He handed me a Watchtower magazine, told me about his Kingdom Hall on the island, and we parted ways. Kristin and I saw him again in the supermarket a few weeks ago. He's a very nice man, and appears more interested in practicing English than converting me, so I hope to bump into him again.
I still think it's very odd that I have run into three Jehovah's Witnesses in my brief time in Okinawa. I've also seen quite a few Mormons. Okinawan Mormons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jon-boy!

One of the things that I learned in Peace Corps is that there are Anglo missionaries wherever you go, mostly Mormans and Jehovah's witnesses. The thing that I should have learned is that they are experts in being accepted by the locals. They know how to dress (important) and they know the culture. They are in the sales business so they know how to act. In Ecuador it was the dark slacks, white shirts, short hair-cuts, careful manners. Observing them is a good way to fit in. They are all about fitting in.

Being home sick is a drag. Advice that I got but (of course ignored) was the idea of "be here now." It is easy to miss the opportunities of the moment. You will be back in Plastic Mesa or Plastic Beach before you know it and it will suck (much).